My Etsy Shop

Monday, August 2, 2010

Copper

I will always love silver shiny, glowing, polished.

Copper, though . . .I love the subtle warmth of oxidized copper, the brash bright of polished, the way it changes over time as though it was alive.

This cuff, for example--it looks loved and lived in.  Reminds me of an old penny that has traveled through many hands before landing in mine.


This collar--simple wire, but coiled and twisted, turned into something with movement and weight.


And these earrings--polished, hammered, oxidized rectangles of copper sheet.  


I'm drawn to copper because of all the things I can do with it, but also because of the way it almost seems to live a life of it's own.   Heat it, and you can bring out different colors.  Treat it with sulfur, and darken it to black.  Rub it with ketchup (yes, ketchup) and bring back it's pinkish shine.  Leave it alone, and it will darken, gradually, browning, evenly, unevenly, until it's a warm deep autumn hue.

An ever changing metal with a personality all it's own, which is probably why I like it so much. 

Watch out, silver.  A new old kid is on the block, and moving on up the street.

1 comment: