My Etsy Shop

Friday, March 20, 2009

How I Do It

People often ask me how I find time to make my jewelry.

Besides the obvious answer that people find time to do the things they want to do, the actuality is that I make it whenever and wherever I can.

I'd love to say I have a dedicated timberframe studio in the woods where I sit in a solitary artistic reverie, creating and building my designs (ah, wouldn't that be nice?), but the reality is that I'm a busy mom of two young boys with another full time job and a long commute to get there.

So, where do I make my jewelry? In the car (as a passenger, of course)! On a plane. Sitting at my table, in my comfy chair or standing at my desk. Sometimes, on my lunch break.

How? I've come up with a portable workstation that I carry with me. It's two parts: 1) a thin, clear plastic paper storage box from The Container Store, where I keep my current project along with my pliers and work glasses. On one side I have put a foam pad to keep the rings from rolling too much. I can carry this with me easily and open it up on my lap, lapdesk, desk and be ready to work in an instant.

The second part is my case for all my rings. I had been using a storage box from the fishing department, but my dear sister gave me a craft storage tote that works perfectly (Thanks Karen!).

With both of these, I can make my jewelry anywhere. Yes, I'd love to have a dedicated studio, but, to be honest, I love the portability and accessibility of my traveling one.

No comments:

Post a Comment